mplayer configuration

I downloaded the mplayer-1.0pre1 tarball and compiled it.
When I launch mplayer, I get the following message:

  Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024: Permission denied
  Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system startup scripts.

So I added that string (without quotation marks) to /etc/profile.
Now, when I log on as myself, I get the following message:

  -bash: /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq: Permission denied

What does mplayer want me to do?

- Harold