Re: Microsoft: Insecure by design

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:17:38PM -0500, Gary wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:25:25PM -0500 or thereabouts, Aaron Cronkright wrote:
> <snip>
> > protected from the blaster and sobig worms.  On the other hand, ADM, the
> > soybean and corn processing company that makes all of Decatur smell like a
> > dirty laundry hamper after it has sat full for about a year in humid
> > conditions, was hit hard with these two worms.
>
> I could never figure out this.  Every IT admin should be fired if their
> company had problems with these 2 worms.  There is no excuse for not
> blocking, on the WAN side port 135, etc... This is just plain stupidity or
> lack of knowledge. ... in my humble opinion...

i've read a couple of stories on the net about companies getting hit with
blaster even when their firewall had port 135 blocked from the outside, let
me paint the picture:  you have the firewall blocked from the outside so
you aren't worried about this one, when your junior marketing person takes
thier laptop home and plugs into thier unprotected cable internet connection
with thier unpatched win2k laptop, boom they have blaster, the next day they
come into work and now your fighting an insane blaster infection, imho it's
just plain stupidity or laziness to not patch your systems (unless of course
mgt has you drowning in work then i don't blame you, been there before myself)

Bob T. Kat