Re: Novell buys Ximian

Robert Threet wrote:

> --- bob@evilkat.com wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 01:28:52PM -0700, Robert Threet wrote:
> > > Uh, remember WordPerfect?

Novell also got a very good database engine with their purchase of
WordPerfect Corp.  They kept
the database and use part of the technology with NDS or eDirectory as it
is called now.  They, as
you suggest, sold off the desktop apps.

 i know i would love to have
> > all the benifits i had when i was working with novell with the power and
> > flexibility of the linux desktop, if novell fails with this effort i'm afraid
> > they aren't going to get another chance,

Novell's true flagship product is eDirectory which is very good for
managing very large
networks (over 1000 servers at multiple locations).

Micro$oft has always provided (at least in their sales material) an
obvious upgrade path and
has been very careful to limit the features of one product in an effort
not to lessen the value
of a more expensive product.   It appears to me that a linux solution is
a very good solution for
a small network, but would be difficult to manage what Novell calls a
'large' network.  Hopefully
with Novell as a player in the Linux arena, the upgrade path will appear
obvious: Linux servers without
eDirectory to Linux servers with eDirectory.

Micro$oft's constant change of the windows environment has been a
problem for Novell -- their products
need to be updated on Micro$oft's schedule to continue to work (I am
thinking of their client, zenworks, and
the imaging services for the clients).  With a complete solution (linux
desktop and eDirectory on the servers)
Novell can offer a complete stable solution that will continue to work.

Novell is not new to the linux world.  You might recall that the gui (if
you choose to use it) on their servers
has been based on xfree for a very long time.  They ported mySQL to
Netware.  By default, Perl installs as it has
for many years.  Currently, the webserver is Apache.

> All true.  I just think at this point, Novell is the kiss-of-death for the many technologies they
> buy up.  (Don't forget DR-DOS).  It's sad.  Their Zenworks (App Launcher) would make a lot of
> people lives a lot easier if people would just consider them.  I still have meetings where the
> need for this technology is discussed but when they find out it actually exists and it's a Novell
> product the issues are dropped.  Having good or even excellent ideas doesn't seem to help Novell
> at this point.

Sad, but true.  Novell has good stuff, but they just cannot seem to sell
it.