Re: Linux/RedHat documentation

Hi Tim

--On Friday, July 11, 2003 07:27:18 PM -0500 Tim wrote:

>> What has always been my biggest bitch about any flavor of Linux is
>> the lack of cohesive, coherent and reliable documentation. A newbie
>> can get lost and befuddled by the tremendous amount of technical
>> "man pages", "HOWTO's", and "mini-HOWTO's" that all point to each
>> other and sometimes cause more confusion than help. I think some in
>> the community have lost that lovin feeling because they are far
>> beyond the newbie stage and don't remember. If we want new people
>> experiencing the open source revolution then we must make it
>> friendlier and easier. Linux is still not ready for the Home
>> Desktop, out of the box.
>
> We talked about this some at the LUCI newbie night earlier this week. I
> have  a friend in Cincinatti (I'm in Springfield) who's made the move
> to Linux  earlier this year. His biggest complaint is that there are so
> many programs  that do the same thing. Not knowing much about any of
> them he was really over  whelmed. Jim, my friend, said he wished there
> were a distribution that didn't  install anything except for a web
> browser, email client, Open Office, and a  file manager by default.
> Then you could be up and running painlessly and  gradually learn to
> pick and choose alternatives or additional programs as you  needed them.

Your friend is not used to choices, one of the benefits of open source,
and a good distro <g>  As far as reliable documentation, I have used just
about every distro over the years, except slackware, and by *far* the
best distro for documentation is SuSE... I am talking about printed books
on network configuring, just about every aspect of a distro... There are
about 5 books included in each distro. No body else even comes close. It
is great for a beginner, or anyone looking to brush up.

--
Gary