Upgrade from Dialup to Cable Modem

I have recently evolved from a dial-up internet connection to a
cable-modem connection.  Download speed has increased from 3kb/sec to
180kb/sec.  Life is good!  :-)

My computer is a completely stand-alone box with only one unpriviliged
user, and I have a straight piece of wire running from the cable-modem
to the computer.  A software firewall is up and running, and when I'm
at the console, I frequently see it denying packets.  (I wish I could
get it to drop packets rather than deny them, but I'm still to ignernt
to know how to do that.)  :-(

I have gone through /etc/rcS.d/ and /etc/rc2.d/ and disabled
everything that I think is unnecessary, starting with inetd.  I'm
thinking about reloading Bastille, but the last time I played with
that app, it locked down my computer so tightly that I could hardly do
anything interesting as an unpriviliged user.

Would you guys review the remaining files in my auto-start directories
and let me know if you see anything else that should be removed.

Thanks,
- Harold

/etc/rcS.d/
  S05initrd-tools.sh