Re: <humble>Help? Coyote router, USR Sportster 33.6 ISA

> Um. If I disable the serial ports in the BIOS, then won't they be, um...
> disabled?

Sort of. That P-B is a POS, BTW. You can't get rid of the modem.
Or at least the UART resource reservations. The UART is the chip that
controls the modem. Also called the "16550" (or the ancient 8250) as that was
the chip part number. When configured in the PC BIOS, it uses two resources -
an IRQ and a range of ports, but we only talk about the lowest one or
the "base" port. The exact pairing of those two is what defines something
as "COM1", "COM2", "COM3" or "COM4". The PC only defined 4 serial ports (who
would need more than that? I mean there's 640K of memory for cryin' out loud!),
so multi-port cards like Digiboard and friends made up their own extensions for
more with goofy IRQ sharing schemes and custom drivers.

Back to the P-B. You've yanked the modem card. Ooops. Put it back.

[Be on your guard, these GeoCities pages have some nasty spyware ad-launchers]
[Best viewed with MOZILLA :=) ] [See full page text quoted below]

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/upgrade/dismodem.html
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/system/modem.html

You need to go into the PB BIOS and DISABLE anything referring to the modem
card and DISABLE anything referred to as COM1/COM2/COM3/COM4. DO NOT set them
to "auto". Turn them OFF if possible. From what I gleaned from skimming the
Ray's PB site, the BIOS might not have that option.

If you can, this will tell your BIOS and any chips on the motherboard to NOT
grab those resources (IRQs and I/O ports). This is because you are providing
your own chips on the modem card.

Set your card to use COM3 on IRQ 4 and port 03E8.

PORT ADDR IRQ
COM1 03F8 4
COM2 02F8 3
COM3 03E8 4
COM4 02E8 3

IRQ4 is shared by COM1 and COM3. IRQ3 is shared by COM2 and COM4.

Since your P-B has designs on COM1/COM2 when they "added value" to the
standard PC motherboard, and I don't remember if I ever got the motherboard to
ignore it or allow anything else to use COM1/COM2, it's probably easier just
to configure the modem for COM3 or COM4 and be done with it. No conflict.

Then configure the Cayote setup to use the modem on COM3.

If it insists on "autodetecting" COM1 (the PB modem) first, then try
configuring the add-in modem for COM1 and moving the PB internal modem to COM3.
Then the Cayote autodetect will hit your external modem first when it cycles
through COM1-4 trolling for modems.

[From http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/upgrade/dismodem.html]

Disabling the Internal Modem

When installing a modem upgrade it may be necessary to disable the original
modem. Packard Bell computers have had different types of modems and each is
disabled in a different way.

* A daughterboard modem - one that is mounted on a separate board attached to
the motherboard is disabled in the BIOS Setup that is accessed during boot up.
The daughterboard modem should not be physically removed from the computer.

* A separate internal modem card can be physically removed from an expansion
slot (ISA or PCI, see this page to identify the slot type).

* A modem that is a part of a modem/sound card can be disabled, depending on
the particular card, either through software or by re-locating the jumpers on
the card.

Remember you may not have to disable the modem, by simply instaling the new
modem on a new comport or changing the com port of your existing modem you may
be able to keep both modems your PC.
Selected Ways to Disable Packard Bell Modems -

    All Packard Bell internal modems can be disabled, or changed to an
alternate COM port as outlined below.

1. The PB24DB/DBFV is disabled by setting internal header in CMOS to disabled.
2. The Rocky I com port can be changed with the jumpers on the card.
3. The Rocky II com port can be changed with the config.exe utility.
4. The Rocky III com port can be changed by editing the aztpnp.cfg file.
5. The F-114 modem communication port is changed by dip switch settings,
visible at the rear of the computer. To disable the modem, remove the card.
6. The PB14.4MFI modem communication port is changed by dip switch settings,
visible at the rear of the computer. To disable the modem, remove the card.
7. The 24MFI com port can be changed with the dip switches on the card.
8. The PB96MNP com port can be changed with the dip switches on the card.

Note:  Many of the internal modems not listed are variations of those outlined.

If this info does not help you vist the Packard Bell Modems and Sound Cards
Page.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/system/modem.html

This page will point you in the right direction to ID your modem and then link
you to the correct pages on packard bells web site so you can find the
information you need.
[end quote]

Mike808/