Re: Email Relay

> > None of them seem to work. I keep getting relay rejections.
>
> Generally, as you already know, ISPs don't run SMTP relays due to mass
> unsolicited mail (read: spam) and spoofing issues.
>
> Some of them, without any exceptions, refuse to run them.  The rest of
> them provide relays provided you use some sort of authentication.
> [...]
> It could be that none of those hosts allow for SMTP authentication, as
> is the case with most ISPs.

What he means is that when you're on the network owned by cmh.net, their
(outbound) mail server (maybe smtp.cmh.net or some such) is configured
to automatically allow SMTP traffic from any client with an IP on their
network, and automatically disallow any SMTP traffic that isn't destined
for any of their clients (i.e. a relay). Same for when you're connected to
xel.net's network or when you're on mchsi.com's network.

POP mail retrieval can be accessed from anywhere, and always requires
authentication.

From what you've described you should be configuring the userid/password
for connecting to each of the respective ISP's POP servers to *retrieve*
your email. You can also ask them (or do so yourself if allowed) to configure
a .forward file or rule to send any mail addressed there to a central address.

I do this for any accounts requiring a separate email account - and setup a
forward to my sourceforge address (obviously only if this is permissible
per the account security policies, like my client's systems, so that internal
corporate email does not get sent out through the general internet).

However, if you're looking for *sending* email, you need an SMTP server. And
that is going to depend on which network you are using. Your mail client should
have a way to either have multiple SMTP servers or multiple "profiles", each
with its own SMTP server.

You will have to select the proper one, depending on how you're connected at
the time. I'm assuming you have a laptop, and are moving around between
providers. Though you could be multi-homed, but I doubt you'd be asking
these questions if you were.

Mike808/