Re: Email Relay

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 07:03:39PM -0500, Harold Crouch wrote:
> The second thing that I learned is that Outlook Express has a function
> called SMTP authentication.  Hey, Sylpheed has that also!  I've tried

Everything worth using for Internet-bound mail (non-local mail, in
other words) should have SMTP authentication implemented in one way or
another.

> None of them seem to work. I keep getting relay rejections.

Generally, as you already know, ISPs don't run SMTP relays due to mass
unsolicited mail (read: spam) and spoofing issues.

Some of them, without any exceptions, refuse to run them.  The rest of
them provide relays provided you use some sort of authentication.

> It appears that I see the big picture, but I'm still fuzzy on the
> details.  Which one *should* be the correct combination?  Or do have
> to set authentication for both providers?

It could be that none of those hosts allow for SMTP authentication, as
is the case with most ISPs.

--
Nathaniel Reindl
fiction&sdf;lonestar;org >> fiction&twu;net >>