Re: TIFF to PDF

Chet suggested: "Learning Perl,"

Ditto.

> "Mastering Regular Expressions," is probably not
> the way to go for this particular project.

Ditto. It's also pretty difficult reading and more about
what regex engines do and their syntax implementation than
common uses for them.

For that, I'd recommend the Perl Cookbook. It will tell you more about
how to actually USE perl in common situations than any other book on Perl.
It is the definition of practial perl code.

> Quoting Harold Crouch <harold@xel.net>:
> > I tried piping the two commands...
> >   tiff2ps -a MSDS7009.TIF  |  ps2pdf

The command you're looking for is ps2pdfwr. ps2pdf is a wrapper for this
command. However, ps2pdfwr takes options for input (- for stdin) and output.

i.e. tiff2ps -a yada.tif | ps2pdfwr - -o yada.pdf

You will likely want to use many more of the options available to you.
Also read the documentation for ps2pdf and ps2pdfwr to identify options that
can help tune the resultant filesize - resolution, outline fonts, etc.

The man pages refer you to the HTML documentation.
On my SuSE system, this was located in /usr/share/docs/ghostscript/7.0/docs/

Mike808/