Re: Certification choices

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 09:59, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> At 05:25 PM 5/25/2003, you wrote:

> >As far as I know, the only sure way to begin DSL service with new copper
> >is to order SBC's business-oriented iDSL symmetric service. It costs a
> >helluva lot more than ADSL.
>
> Sorry, .. iDSL is **NOT** business-oriented DSL service!! It is DSL over
> ISDN - connecting a pair of wires conditioned for ISDN (i.e. no 18,000 ft
> distance restriction) to a DSLAM for 144 Kbps over a single pair. Works
> great if you're too far for DSL - we sell it for $109. The only gotcha is
> that YOUR CO must have a DSLAM (i.e. sell DSL to other customers).
>
> 'Businss Grade DSL' is SDSL. Speeds to 1.544 Mbps (T1 speeds) over a single
> pair, but, of course, the distance limitations are critival. If anyone
> would like a quote, email me off-list.

Lee,

A question of semantics, I guess. If you call SBC's Home Services
(Residential) Sales, nobody there has ever heard of iDSL. I had to call
Small Business Sales. And yes, it is symmetric (generic SDSL). It's
offered in four speeds ranging from 128 kbps to 1.536 Mbps, bundled with
IP addresses ranging from 1 (DHCP) to 32 (fixed CIDR /27) at monthly
rates from $110 to $350. Yeah, I know the speeds are suspiciously (OK,
exactly) like channelized T1/ISDN. I don't really care how it's
implemented. Almost anything would be better than the 28.8 kbps soda
straw I've had to put up with on a second phone line at $30/mo for the
last 13 years.

I would order up iDSL in a heartbeat if SBC could guarantee me 384 kbps
or better symmetric service to my home, which they say is 23,000 cable
feet from their Edgemont CO. They won't.

(I actually had an Ameritech peabrain tell me to move if I wanted better
service.)

--Doc