Re: Certification choices

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 05:41, Bonnie Saunders wrote:
> I don't code and I support computers to earn my bread and butter.
> Knowing the software and the essentials of how programs function
> coupled with good phone skills and the ability to guide
> unknowledgeable users through setup/configuration processes is what's
> needed. That said, having some knowledge of coding helps when trying
> to help figure out why the software breaks.
>
> Cheers.
>
> PS the dial up issue seems to be directly related to frequency
> settings the provider has pushed my analog line up past normal
> settings. They couldn't provide me any resolution other than maybe
> adding a analog line to my house. That's laughable, because I canceled
> my analog data line to get the ADSL package in the first place.

Bonnie,

SBC may have cancelled your old analog service, but I'll bet they're
re-using your old copper pairs for your ADSL service. If yours are
anything like mine, they're chock full of load coils and half taps that
have accumulated over many years of analog use. No power on earth (and
no amount of bitching) can force SBC to scan for, locate, and remove
that junk for better ADSL service. For $150 (I think) SBC will sell you
a new "dry pair" ($300 for two pairs / 4-wire??).

As far as I know, the only sure way to begin DSL service with new copper
is to order SBC's business-oriented iDSL symmetric service. It costs a
helluva lot more than ADSL.

--Doc