OT: floppy drives suck (was Re: OT: power supplies suck)

Well, you know, after that rant, it turned out it wasn't the old power
supply at all.  There must be a short in the floppy drive.  (Figure
that one out...)  Both power supplies failed to power up the system or
light up the tester as long as the floppy was connected...  With
*everything* else in the box connected, either one worked fine.

Speaking of floppy drives, the one in my box doesn't work...  It looks
like maybe the floppy controller on my board is toast, since I
installed a new floppy when I first noticed I was having problems.
(I think the old floppy was the one piece left from when my box was a
386SX/16, so I figured I was due for a replacement.)  So, anyone tried
a USB floppy drive?  Anyone have any other suggestions?  I *very*
rarely need a floppy, but when I do, it's a major pain not having
one...  Since there's no floppy on my laptop, a USB drive might be
handy there too...