Re: Certification choices

On 22 May 2003, Stephen D Reindl wrote:

> If you could receive one of the following certifications free of charge,
> and you had no job, and you were looking to make the most money possible
> just by acquiring a certification, which would you chose and why?
>
> Cisco CCNA
> Cisco CCNP
> MCSE Windows 2000
> Linux +
> Linux Certified Administrator
> Unix
> Unix Level 1
> Network +
> Security +
> AA in computer networking technology

	Wow, loaded question.

	Generally, most employers are putting a Bachelor's or Associate
degree in some related field as required.  Although, as Steve P. will
point out, experience can make that a moot point.

	From there, considering your "desperation" and all other factors
aside, I would rank them:

	- either Cisco cert
		- if you don't have any networking background, you'll be
		damn lucky to pass

	- MCSE Windows 2000
		- most folks say that you can study hard and pass without
		any actual experience, but will that get you hired, who
		knows

	- the rest all kind of rank the same.  A company that is looking
		for a UNIX/Linux person probably won't hire someone just
		because they have a cert.

	So my suggestion to you would be the AA.  Failing that, a basic
level cert in something that you enjoy.  Just because you are desperate
doesn't mean you shouldn't take the opportunity to point your career in
the direction you want to go :)

	Clear as mud.

--
Richard H. Fifarek