Re: ssh/http access

Is the department were the server located on its own subnet?  If so see
if the router there is allowing access from the subnet you are on.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chester Langin [mailto:chester@langin.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 9:43 PM
To: silug-discuss@silug.org
Subject: ssh/http access

I have a server which I would like to be globally
available for ssh and http access.  However, for
some reason, it is not.

I have root access and it is running SuSE 8.1.
The firewall on this machine has been stopped.
hosts.allow and hosts.deny are wide open for any
access.

The server is located in an organization.  The
department sysadmin says that he is not firewalling
this access.

I can access web pages from this server from
other machines within the deparment.  But the
connection is refused from any machine outside
of the department.

ssh is refused to this server from machines
outside of the department.  However, I can ssh
from this server outside of the department, and
then ssh back in to this machine.

Any ideas on why I cannot access this server in
the way I want to?

<http://mypage.siu.edu/clangin> <clangin@siu.edu>
~~~Diagonally parked in a parallel universe ~~~~~