Re: Anyone studying for Cisco certs?

Wouldn't the Adaptive Security Algorithm combined with the stateful packet filter accomplish the same thing as stateful packet inspection?  I have no idea about the IP spoof checker either.

-----Original Message-----
From: fiaid@quasi-sane.com [mailto:fiaid@quasi-sane.com]
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 10:17 AM
To: silug-discuss@silug.org
Subject: Re: Anyone studying for Cisco certs?

> The pix uses a stateful packet filter, is this different than stateful
> packet inspection?  If they are the same does the pix have a problem
> with it filtering technology?  I apologize in advance if these are dumb
> questions.

There is some difference.  So that I won't mangle the language, here is a
link.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/stateful_inspection.html

And from Cisco's website:

In fact, only two accesses can be made through Cisco's PIX Firewall from
outside the private network:

Specific servers designated as static conduits through the PIX Firewall,
allowing access to a specific server on the inside private network--and
that server alone

Cut-through proxy authentication

If you do some reading, you'll see there is a difference in here.

Tighe

--
Tighe Schlottog         workape         fiaid
"Nothing is too cruel if it is funny enough."