Stupid (?) question #42

Okay... I'm starting to lose it.  I can't figure this one out.

I installed Red Hat 9, and I just can get forms to work in Apache.  Has
something changed?

I created two files, "fred.html" and "joe.php" to illustrate what's going
on.  "fred.html" creates a little form and "joe.php" is SUPPOSED to print
out what I put in the text box on "fred.html".  My problem is that it
doesn't pick up the text in the text input box called "charlie".

Here is fred.html:

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
<form METHOD=GET action="joe.php">
Who is your favourite author?
<input type="TEXT" name="charlie">
<input type=submit>
</form>

And here is joe.php:

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
Your favorite author is:
<?php
echo $charlie;
?>

PHP does seem to be enabled.  Other things that require PHP (such as
printing out databases from MySQL on my web page) work nicely.  It's only
this form thing that isn't working.

Thanks very much.  I've been looking at this for three hours and I've got
the hammer out to kill this machine.  8-)

Charlie