nVidia is OS?

Ran across this [below post] on another list.
Steve, what's the beef with nVidia?

Is it the nVidia of yesteryear that wasn't very OS-friendly,
and that perhaps they have "seen the light"and changed?

Is it that the drivers themselves are not OS? IMHO, that's a pretty minor
issue to make a stand on. They are the experts in their cards, after all.
I trust them to make quality drivers. If you feel you can write a better
driver for nVidia cards, well, go get a job at nVidia.

Is it that it modifies your kernel? How is that different from running
say a 2.5 kernel or with AC patches?

Is any distro vendor officially cancelling or not providing support for
kernels with nVidia drivers installed?

Just asking, since from the below, it sounds pretty OS-friendly to me,
and since you don't run Debian or BSD, I don't see what the big deal is.
But, then again, I run Matrox, so it doesn't have any direct impact.

Mike808/

> Found on:
> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-4349/README.txt
>
> Q: How can I see the source code to the kernel interface layer?
> A: The source files to the kernel interface layer are in the usr/src/nv
>    directory of the extracted .run file.  To get to these sources, run:
>       sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run --extract-only
>       cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349/usr/src/nv/
> Q: Where can I find the source code for the nvidia-installer utility?
> A: The nvidia-installer utility is released under the
>    GPL.  The latest source code for it is available at:
>       ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/nvidia-installer/
---FIN---