kernel update problem

   ive installed a fresh 7.3...... i decided to upgrade to the latest stable
kernel 2.4.20...  because of the bug in 2.4.18-3 on smp..
 i did the usual process of make mrproper.. bla bla upto make
modules_install..

 then tried to create a initrd.. but i got this error...

---> No module aic7xxx found for kernel 2.4.20

i think its telling me 2.4.20 doesnt have the driver for my scsi adapter..
so i tried to visit adaptec and got the source driver for it...

after it im stuck... can someone tell me the next step... do i have to add the
driver source to the kernel? or do i have to compile it and copy it to the
loadable modules for the specified kernel?

INFO:
  P3 dual processor
  hardware raid RAID 5
  using grub

btw i did check on RAID support in the menuconfig..

TIA