Re: C question

>> fs/cramfs/inode.c: In function `get_cramfs_inode':
>> fs/cramfs/inode.c:54: incompatible types in assignment
>>
>> Going to /usr/src/linux-2.5.66/fs/cramfs and looking at inode.c line
>> 54 I found:
>>                 inode->i_mtime = inode->i_atime = inode->i_ctime = 0;
>
> it looks like you have an issue with stancking your pointers like that.
>  this might work in a newer version of glibc than you are running.  if
> you  were to take these down to:
>
> 	inode->i_mtime = 0;
> 	inode->i_atime = 0;
> 	inode->i_ctime = 0;
>
> and then recompile, what would this do?  You aren't adding cpu cycles,
> and  you are cutting down on the memory lookups so you might even be
> cutting  down on the time some.  You can do alot of really messed up
> things with C.   ALOT.

Tighe,

Well... It looked like a perfectly reasoned answer to the problem. I guess
that was reason enough for it not to work.  :-/

After modifying inode.c, the next pass of 'make rpm' produced similar, but
more numerous errors:

fs/cramfs/.tmp_inode.o fs/cramfs/inode.c
fs/cramfs/inode.c: In function `get_cramfs_inode':
fs/cramfs/inode.c:56: incompatible types in assignment
fs/cramfs/inode.c:57: incompatible types in assignment
fs/cramfs/inode.c.58: incompatible types in assignment
make[4]: *** [fs/cramfs/inode.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [fs/cramfs] Error 2
make[2]: *** [fs] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
RPM build errors:
make: *** [rpm] Error 1

Guess it's time to start lurking about lkml.....  Thanks.

--Doc