spam filter FYI

Given our discussion last week regarding spam filters I decided I'd go
ahead and give one a spin.  Especially given the volume of spam I've been
getting as of late.  They've really ratched up the spamming in the last
month, this despite running 3 different RBL's.  Spam Assassin was supposed
to have an easily configurable whitelist.  Unfortunately I ran into some
perl module problems trying to build SA on my mail server (Alpha running
RH linux).

I decided to take another look at Bogofilter.  ESR looks to have handed
off most of the development.  It no longer requires the Judy libs.  I
decided to see if I could get off easy and built bogofilter via src rpm.
It compiled on said alpha without issue.  I've got it running thru a
procmail rule (violating rule number one of what I was wanting).  I
trained bogofilter on a few spams I still had laying around.  So far it's
caught one and missed one.  The missed one was the type that had all the
text in the body of the email underlined (html) and had a crazy spacing
for the text in the subject line.  Understandable since I did not have any
of those types of spam lying around.

So far I've not done much ham training.  I've picked a random email or two
and trained bogofilter, and one that was flagged spam was trained
accordingly.  So far all of the lists I'm on have made it to my inbox.

I'll report back in a week or so with reports on how it's going.

Sean...

--
Believing I had supernatural powers, I slammed into a brick wall.
	--Paul Simon