Re: SCSI tape drive unrecognized

Tighe,

> <obligatory 'we don't have this issue in solaris' comment>

doesn't happen in Windows 2000 either. your point?

> also, did you take a gander at this?
>
> http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/stricker/lab/linux_tape.html
>
>> Having a senior moment here. Don't remember how to get a SCSI tape
>> drive recognized as /dev/st0.
>
> doesn't kudzu or whatever it is called scan for new devices when you are
>  plugged into the docking station?  shouldn't it have found this?

You are aiming too high. Kudzu doesn't see it. The operative word from my
message may be "[damaged]". I am having to do several things manually that
were once fully automatic. Once I get this DAT drive connected and
everything safely onto tape, I can reinstall everything with the laptop in
its docking station where the HA can be detected. Until then, ASSUME
NOTHING.

(Incidentally, this is the sort of damaged system problem you have to
solve four of on the RHCE exam -- only this one is harder.)

>> Trouble is, the DAT drive at SCSI ID=6 does not appear in
>> /proc/scsi/scsi:
>
> according to the doc that i chucked up at the top of this email, it
> would  appear that if they devices isn't at ID1 that it will not be
> discovered.   weird, eh?

That doc presumes /dev/st0 *exists* and is working so that mt can
function. It doesn't, so it can't. The answer I'm looking for is much
closer to the hardware.

--Doc