Re: age old distro questions

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 04:31:40PM -0600, Nate Reindl wrote:
> KDE = bloat.

I've always kind of wondered about this...  Some KDE apps actually
seem to be quite nice on memory.  (Heck, they run on the Zaurus
more-or-less unmodified.)  Then there are others that hurt when you
run them with anything less than a gig of RAM.

> Though, KHTML whips Gecko's ass...

That it does, although I must say that Mozilla 1.2.x seems a bit nicer
than 1.0.x.  (Other than being a bit less stable.  It actually crashed
on me today.)

> Windowmaker = streamlined and nostalgic.  Nostalgia is your friend, man.

For the record, that was a joke.  I like Windowmaker.  I only stopped
using it when it wasn't playing nice with KDE 2.  Now it would be too
much trouble to switch back.

> If they only had a way to make UNIX act more like TOPS-20...

How can you be nostalgic for something you weren't alive for?  ;-)

Oh, and speaking of insane things to want, I keep meaning to get a
cross-compiler and try to build the PDP-11 emulator for StrongARM...
Wouldn't that be a killer app for the Zaurus?  Who wouldn't want to
run V7 on a handheld?  :-)