Re: Sun question

> I just received a Sun Blade 150 at work.  I purchased both the Solaris 8
> and 9 media kits.  The system came preconfigured with Solaris 8.  I have
> very basic knowledge about Solaris 8 and have never used 9.  For those
> of you Sun people out there which one should I install permanently?

This depends on what you are going to be doing?  If you are working in an
environment that you are going to need to use 32 bit programs, then I
would recommend sticking with 8.  Solaris 9 is a real 64 bit OS.

> (I'm leaning towards 9.)  I'm going to try to replace my W2k machine
> with this new sun blade.  What are the pros and cons of having 8
> installed as compared to 9?  I know with Solaris 9 I can install Gnome 2
> which I will end up doing if I install Solaris 9.

I am running the Gnome 2 beta 3 on my blade 100 at work.  It is nice.  :)

> Also, when I initially started up the Blade 150 it started up in config
> wizard.  One of the questions it asked was whether or not you had a
> proxy.  I put the proxy address of the proxy at my work and it doesn't
> work.  How do I go about chaning this so that there is no proxy setting?

You know, you really need to completely reinstall the machine, the default
layout of the disk is kinda well, crap.  I would say reinstall with 9 from
scratch and then install all the companion cd programs.  There are quite a
few programs that are really nice.  Also, a really cool thing in the 9
installation is that THEY ACTUALLY ASK YOU WHAT YOUR DEFAULT ROUTE IS!  WE
HAVE ONLY BEEN ASKING FOR THAT CRAP SINCE 7.  Sorry about that, just a
little disgruntled.  :)

If you need any help, feel free to give me a write off list.  :)  I play
with this stuff all day at work.  :)

Tighe

--
Tighe Schlottog         workape         fiaid
"Nothing is too cruel if it is funny enough."