Re: XLEL: Best Dist?

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 07:22:43PM -0600, Nate Reindl wrote:
> Now, Steve will (most likely) push RedHat until his fingers bleed
> from typing too much. Any newer versions of RedHat probably won't run
> nicely on this system without doing some serious tweaking and
> hacking, so...

Geez, give me a little credit.  I know for a fact that Red Hat 8 won't
run on anything quite that low-end.  7.x *might*, but it's not all
that likely.

> Instead, use Debian.

I'd tend to agree.  It'll be painful using apt, but other than that
the box should run just fine.  Plus the esoteric software suitable for
slower, lower-memory systems will be available.  (The PA-RISC people
keep talking about a browser called Dillo that is usable even on the
*really* old PA-RISC boxes, which are probably a fair bit faster than
a 486, but it might be useful information anyway.  :-)