Re: XLEL: Best Dist?

> > System:
> > 486SX-33
> > 32MB RAM
> > 1.2 GB HDD
> > 512K Video

I saw that slackware and LFS were mentioned and I'm wondering how much
experience the person who will be setting it up has. If the person
dosen't mind a little extra effort in the beginning, FreeBSD
(www.freebsd.org and you can get ISOs at www.linuxiso.org) is a great
option for this system. Even the current version 4.7 has great support
for older hardware and the entire OS can be recompiled for the specific
hardware right after install with a single command. It has X and via the
ports system (probably best on a low end machine so you can get maximum
performance) you can pick up XFCE 3.x which is a fast, functional GTK+
based desktop similiar in look to CDE (www.xfce.org). I know FreeBSD
isn't exactly linux and we're on a linux list but the userland is _very_
similiar to the point that probably 80% of the tools are the same
source.

Just my 2 cents,

Brandon Joseph Adams
bja@illinois.dyndns.org