Re: Filesystem Quotas

> 	For instance, luser1 has a quota of 200GB, but creates a directory
> /home/luser1/luser2 that luser2 can write to, under the auspices of
> sharing data.  luser2 dumps 250GB of data to that directory, and the quota
> system could care less.
>
> 	So, my question is, is there a way to prevent writes to a
> filesystem unless the user has a quota?

Why does luser2 have a 250GB+ quota?
If you're going to give them the quota, don't expect them not to use it.
And if you're going to give them the quota, they shouldn't hesitate
to ask for more if they need it.

If requested storage exceeds physical capacity, then you have to meet
with the users and explain to them this problem, and that they
will have to either reduce requirements, eliminate duplication, or
fund more storage. You'd be surprised what people will do instead of
being forced to spend money they thought they were going to spend on
something else.

Ask them to document their data requirements in writing and signed off
by budget-approving supervisor. Then when requests exceed budgeted purchases,
the shortfall is the responsibility of said supervisor to deal with.

"We only bought enough storage for what you budgeted..."
"If you had requests from your staff for 4TB, why did you only budget
for 2TB? Because that's what we bought - 2TB. Maybe you can talk to
them and make more efficient use of their limited storage allocations.
Maybe you have some budget elsewhere you can trim to acquire the needed 2TB.
But, at this late stage, it won't be as cheap to get in "ASAP".

Basically, don't let whomever is overseeing these scientists make their
laziness *your* problem.

Mike808/