Bash history not working right

Watch the cross-posts.

SORRY, BUT I NEED AS ***MANY*** 733T 3Y3BALLZ ON THIS AS POSSIBLE.

On my Red Hat 8.0 system on a 2 GB ReiserFS. The hard drive is a
Maxtor 20GB that multi-boots Win95OSR2 and this Linux stuff. I have an
STB VGA video card at 640x480x256. My keyboard is one of those space-savers
with a clear plastic "skin" to keep my coffee from staining it. Oh, and I
have a laser pointer, but it doesn't work with this computer. I also have a
grey-market can opener from someplace in Europe, but it runs on 220v.

Now that you have the hardware rundown, here's my problem:

> bash-2.03$ !+1:p
> bash: !+1: event not found

Any ideas? I googled, searched a few lists, even searched the bash source
code. I still couldn't find any pointers to where in the source code
the problem is or why this isn't working.

It's for a "Bash for Dummies" tutorial I'm developing.
For the second tutorial, I'll teach them the "vi" mode and to use
"Esc-J" as a shortcut for the above.

Just another way that the command line interface is inherently more
powerful than any GUI.

Actually, my boss needs me to implement this right away, so can everyone please
hurry with a solution! I've got a deadline, and it's really, really important
to have this implemented. I don't want to waste two days with unhelpful
suggestions, so please, be constructive or don't post at all!

Thanks!
Mike808/