Re: Is this a good deal?

> but [KSPEI.com] are being set up as a white box distributor ...

But those Dells are kewl "black box"es.... :=)

Doc wrote:
> I have nothing against Dell. They sell excellent hardware and their
> after-sales support leads the industry. But if low purchase price is
> important to you, Wal-Mart's OS-less PCs are hard to ignore:
>
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=86798
> And you don't have to worry about getting a Windows refund. :-)

Only problem is that the $399 Dell I was referring to costs $599 for
the equivalent machine from WalMart - without WinXP.
See
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1982423&cat=86798&type=19&dept=3944
or http://fcol.org/?RH

So, subjective reasons aside, was that a good price for what Dell is selling?
$499 for 1.8 P4, 256MB, 30GB, 40x10x40 CD-RW, 10/100 NIC, and Windows XP Home.
(Free shipping, too)

On the face of it, the Dell looks to be $100 cheaper than the WalMart, even.

Mike808/