Community Project Feedback Request

Greeting All,

I normally just lurk here, but I've been thinking about running
a spin-off Linux Mentors project early next year, and I wanted
to get feedback on what others might perceive as possible issues.

The project is going to be a city-wide virtual robot programming
competition using IBM's Robocode. I'm planning on contacting
every high school in St. Louis and inviting interested students
(regardless of programming skill) to participate. From January
through May Linux Mentors will be running classes on Java and
Robocode programming. My goal is to get enough volunteers to
be able to run nightly classes through the mentoring period (3
dedicated volunteers and 4 helpers could probably do it). At the
end of the training period the students will have until August
to come into the lab and build their competition robot. The
tournament will take place sometime in August, and my hope is to
get corporate support for prizes. In the tournament we'll run
3 divisions based on initial programming skill: lightweight for
individuals that never programmed before the project, Middleweight
for students that had some experience, and heavyweight for
students that are experienced coders.

Well that covers the idea. Any thoughts, ideas, comments, flames,
criticisms, sponsorship resources, volunteers, etc...

Thanks for any feedback,

Jason Burke