Interface Aliases...

Okay, so I used to be able to do aliased Ethernet interfaces.  But, it
appears I'm not able to do so now.  Here's sample output:

ether:~ # ifconfig eth0:1 up
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
ether:~ # ifconfig eth0:1
eth0:1    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:20:18:2C:F6:24
          Interrupt:12 Base address:0x6800

ether:~ # ifconfig eth0:1 up
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device

It used to be as simple as "ifconfig eth0:1 ip_address", but alas, it is
not working.  I have this working on another machine, running the same
version of everything (both are SuSE 6.4).  Any ideas WTF I'm doing wrong?

Koree

____________________________________
Koree A. Smith  | Ameth Technologies
koree@koree.net | koree@ameth.org
     http://www.koree.net/

I was walkin' down the street,
when I thought I heard this voice say,
"Say, ain't we walkin' down the same street,
together on the very same day",
And I said,
"Hey senorita, that's astute", I said,
"Why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute"