Re: using parted

I found some tools that help. There's a "ext2salvage"  project out there.
I don't trust it on the re-write part, it hasn't been worked on in over a year,
and the author says the write part is broken.
See http://project.terminus.sk/e2salvage/

Then there's the *windows* application from R-TT.com that actually looks pretty
good.

http://www.r-tt.com/RLinux.shtml

My situation is similar. I hosed the partition table, and since I can't
get that "quite right", I can't recover the superblocks in the partition.
Unfortunately, this is a 100GB drive, and the partition in question is 80GB.
So simply copying the drive or the partition isn't an option.

Steve's partition recovery tool came close, and it's results matched the RLinux
results as well.

I also found a nice read-only partition/superblock/ext2fs finder called
scandrive.cpp.
See http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/recovering-ext2.html

I've modified it here to dump the entire superblock for any it finds.
This should help in figuring out which SBs are "real" and which ones are
completely bogus. The RLinux tool gives much of the same information but with a
nice GUI.

I think the consensus is to use dd to pull a particular sector on the disk,
use a hex editor to "patch" it, and then dd to re-write it.

Obviously, everyone recommends using dd to grab an image of the partition or
disk in question, and then do your editing on *that*. Use the loopback device to
mount the file as a disk and then see if everything is back in its place.

HTH,
Mike808/
I feel your pain.