using parted

I need some interpretive help with parted. My 48G Linux laptop drive is
partitioned like this:

Disk /dev/hda: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 6201 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1         7     52888+  83  Linux    <-- /boot
/dev/hda2             8      6063  45783360   83  Linux    <-- /
/dev/hda3          6064      6201   1043280   82  Linux swap

The bulk of that 45G root filesystem is occupied by the /pub directory in
which I keep a bunch of ISOs, tarballs, RPMs, and other static kinds of
stuff.

I would like to do a fresh installation of RH8 to clear away any remaining
vestiges of a severe Gnome2 problem that Dave "Lobster Boy" Lawrence was
able to mostly fix at the Red Hat Road Tour show up at SIUE on Wednesday
afternoon. Unfortunately with /pub in the same filesystem as /, I'll lose
everything in a from-scratch installation.

So my challenge is to use parted to shrink the present size of /dev/hda2
and make room for another partition on which to mount /pub. Trouble is,
when I run 'man parted' I'm greeted with the following documentation:

Syntax: parted [options] [device [command [options]]]
  where the resize option has the form:

       # parted resize partition start end

What has me scratching my bald spot is that man says the units for 'start'
and 'end' are "megabytes". This can't be right. It would make more sense
if start and end were specified as linear coordinates of some kind like
cylinder numbers, the way fdisk reports them.

Thoughts?

--Doc