Re: Fwd: Linking a directory *solved?*

> We have a customer that sends us engineering documents via ftp.  I have given
> them a shell account so that when they login, their ftp client is pointing at
> their home directory, which is where they upload the files to.  This same
> home directory is setup as a read-only samba share so that the users on the
> LAN with winders can access the files via clicky-clicky.

Why not actually *move* that one user's home directory to the new location?

i.e. vipw to edit the user's home directory location in /etc/passwd.

Or use your favorite user manager GUI or CLI tool.

Samba will take care of the magic, but you may have to change the
home directory for the FTP user in your ftp server configuration.

There's no requirement that all users have home directories in the same place.

Also, you may want to adjust the location of the share if you setup a
special share for Samba in the smbd.conf. (Or use SWAT or webmin to do this).

Don't forget about the .files if you're moving stuff over using filename
expansion on the command line - i.e. "mv * /some/path" will skip over
the .files since they aren't expanded by the "*" during filename expansion by
the shell.

Much easier, and then you don't have those nasty symbolic links to trip over
later on. Check out a Solaris system if you think symlinks are a panacea.

Also, FTP in general doesn't have a good way to represent "symbolic links",
and especially differentiating symlinks that point to directories versus
those that point to files or even to other symlinks. By "Keeping it real",
everything will play with everything else much, much better.

Mike808/