Re: Redhat Questions...

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 09:12:36AM -0600, KoReE wrote:
> I need telnet

No you don't.  :-)

> (yes, I know, ssh, but this is behind a firewall, and is a NAT
> machine, so no one is getting to it from the outside),

That doesn't matter.  You can ssh from other Linux boxes, and you can
use PuTTY (GPL'd ssh/telnet/scp/sftp) on any Windows boxes you might
have.

    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

And unlike the broken telnet thing that comes with Windows, PuTTY
actually has good terminal emulation.

> and it didn't install it, so I need to get it.

I still *strongly* disagree, but if you really must, install the
telnet-server package and do "chkconfig telnet on".

Again, it's not just the security issues, although that should be
enough for anyone.  You can't login as root safely through telnet.
You can't copy files around with telnet.  You can't transparently
redirect TCP connections (like X) with telnet.  Plus, even if you
ignore everything ssh can do that ssh can't, it's still better as just
a straight telnet replacement, since it is an 8-bit clean connection.

Trust me on this...  You gain *nothing* by using a telnet server on a
Linux box, and you lose a *lot*.

> I've seen you guys discuss using apt-get to install new programs, but
> it appears that is not on my system. I thought maybe Redhat had
> started using this program, but I guess not.

No, you'll need to install apt by hand.  Get it here:

    http://ftp.silug.org/pub/freshrpms/redhat-7.3/apt/

Then (assuming you want to use our mirror) edit /etc/sources.list,
comment everything out, and add this:

    rpm http://ftp.silug.org/pub/apt redhat/7.3/en/i386 os updates-os

If you want to be able to grab source rpms with "apt-get source", add
another line that starts with "rpm-src" instead of "rpm".

Then you can "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" to get current and
use "apt-get install" to install packages.