Re: system monitoring software

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 10:04:37AM -0400, William Underwood wrote:
> Well, you know that when they say "evaluate this, and let us know
> what you think about it," they really mean "Hey, we want you to
> implement this total crap software, so play with it a little, so
> you'll be used to it."

Amen, brother!

I have to admit that my experience with monitoring software is
similar...  Not to mention all sorts of random devices, other random
software, etc.  "Take a look at this" turns into "Make this work", and
when you can't (because it is broken crap) you get the "But we
invested all this money and XXXX already uses it so you must not be
trying hard enough".  Grr...

I have to deal with this problem with clients too, but for some
strange reason they tend to listen to me when I tell them something is
broken.  I've never figured out why being an employee (or contractor)
makes a person less believable.

OK, I'm going to stop ranting now.

> I have been wanting, for some time now, to build an open source project of
> this type, perhaps in Perl.  I just wish I had the time and skills
> necessary...

It seems like one of the 1e666 different free monitoring programs
really should be good enough to use as a base.  I need to implement
something for the servers here, so I've been evaluating different
things for a while now...  We'll see how it goes.