From: silug-discuss-owner@silug.org
[mailto:silug-discuss-owner@silug.org] On Behalf Of Kara Pritchard
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 12:29 PM
To: silug-discuss@silug.org
Subject: Re: anyone selling a 28.8 (or better) hardware modem?

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Doug Simmons wrote:

> Hi. I never connect at my house faster than 28.8...
> anybody got a hardware modem for sale?

Oh man, I almost bought a 33.6 external modem at a rummage sale this
week
for $3 :-)

Anyhow, There are some USR modems at Sam's Club for $15.

However, who's the network provider?  It's not uncommon for dial-up
customers to only get 28.8, even less from a provider whose faster
modems
are already in use, or if your home phone line is noisy (do you ever
hear
static on your phone line?  Make sure to test that specific jack too).
Modem connections are negotiated, they attempt the highest speed, then
the
next, then the next, until they manage to establish a connection.  It's
unlikely to be your software modumb.

Director of Exam Development            http://www.lpi.org/