Re: RPM in RH 8.0

I had my database get corrupted in either 7.1 or 7.2, I forget.  Anyway, I think that up2date botched it up.  But, I can't prove it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Pritchard [mailto:steve@silug.org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 4:06 PM
To: Charlie Brune
Cc: silug-discuss@silug.org
Subject: Re: RPM in RH 8.0

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 12:46:59PM -0500, Charlie Brune wrote:
> I'm confused.  How "broke" is it?

I'm still a little fuzzy on that myself.  All I know is that once
after running "rpm --rebuilddb", the rpm database was completely
corrupted, enough so that it seemed to be unrecoverable.  (I was doing
the rebuilddb thing because I was having an odd problem installing
packages.)

I've also seen some errors when just doing pretty standard query
stuff.

> I've been using the Limbo and Null betas and successfully (I think ...
> Gulp!) installed stuff with rpm.  It it just "advanced" features that
> normal folks like me don't use that don't work?

I don't know what exactly caused the corruption.  That's part of what
bothers me.  I can't reproduce it on demand, but others have seen the
same sort of thing.

> And what the heck is BlueCurve?  Is it something different from KDE and
> Gnome?

Not really.  It's just Red Hat's customized desktop.

> Downloading Psyche as I type this note,  8-)

Which reminds me...  If we are having a "meeting" at Steve Reindl's
place Thursday, it might be quicker for me to bring CDs to those who
are interested...  Just let me know if I need to burn a few sets.