Re: PocketPC to Linux Desktop via USB

Quoting Stephen D Reindl <sreindl@apci.net>:

> I want to play. Where do I start?

Go to your local Toys 'R' Us and browse around.

> I have a HP Jornada 545 that I rarely use. In fact the battery goes dead
> from lack of use between chargings. I'd like to try to get this thing
> connected to my desktop vis the USB cradle. Maybe I can start doing
> meaningful things with it, or maybe not.

Who knows?

> I'm going to make some assumptions. Nate set up my compact flash card
> reader as /dev/sda1 which is mounted as /cflash.

I didn't set it up.  That's what 'dmesg' told me after I plugged the thing in.
I just made the changes to /etc/fstab so you can mount it without doing the
obfuscated 'mount -tvfat /dev/sda1 /cflash' command.

> Can I assume I can set this up as /dev/sda2 mounted as say /jornada?

I wouldn't count on it.  The Jornada has rull reign of the CF slot, and since
Windows CE is one of the most fascist things I've seen, that could probably a
straight-up 'hell no'.

> Does PocketPC have a samba server that I can use to transfer and read files
> or what are the alternatives.

Actually, no.  Windows CE only understands straight up TCP/IP.  There is no such
thing as CIFS in the Windows CE world.

> Basically, how do I sync this thing to make it usefull? Or should I just
> put it on forsale@silug.org, hmmmm?

Take the time and browse around Freshmeat.  That's pretty much all I can say.

> The fabled halfling's other half???

Stop ripping me off.  I worked hard for that name, damnit.

--
Nate Reindl, The Fabled Halfling.