Re: new to the list, grr -> SIU proxy

Quoting Joel A Taddei <jtaddei@siu.edu>:

> Greetings,

Hi!

> anyways, long story longer i left the linux community of northwest
> chicago suburbs area, and dove headfirst into the Everquest community
> never to be seen again...

EverCrack, rather.
/me ducks and runs!

> I'm coming back into the linux world, and i am told for an FTP install
> to go straight for Gentoo Linux since it has a very BSD'esque package

I originally chose Gentoo because of the fact that it's a *very* minimal
distribution that's meant to be built up, quite the contrary of most RedHat
setups.  Slackware just sucks, IMHO.  OpenBSD's kernel plays nice with my
laptop, but it isn't GNU/Linux, so... *cough*  Enough already, though.

> install system ***mmm***, but being constrained to the SIU(c) campus i
> am, (as anyone on campus will attest to) i will need to break through
> this POS proxy server they have set up, and the only way i've been able

I forget how HTTP proxying works, but if you have a box running over there with
an OS loaded that's capable of handling raw socket data (Linux, Solaris, HP-UX,
OSF/1, AIX, Irix, *BSD, and others but not Windows), you might want to try
running tcpdump (or similar) to see what kind of packets you're spewing around
for HTTP requests to this infernal thing.  This might give you an idea of what
to shoot off to the proxy in that nice little antiquated Microsoft telnet window.

> to do this is through an http client.  I have been told i can telnet
> into port 80 and login from there, but see image below to see what that
> yeilds.

Yeah.  Read above.

> Things i have done:
>   - Made sure the eth0 comes up with an IP (dhcp gives it one just
> perfectly, and i am able to ping the proxy server)

This is the first good thing so far.

>   - telnet into port 80 of the proxy server -----  ERROR see
> http://www.reject.org/fatman/proxy.jpg

Make sure you're requesting something half-assed here.  Read above.

>   - added my proxy server using some RSYNC_~~~ ="hostname:port" (~~~'s
> are things i cant remember) to /etc/make.conf (wasnt there before but i
> made one)

Eh... you're pushing it.  And, uhm, the fact that you had to make one tells me
something: you didn't read the install guide.

You're supposed to set that stuff *after* you extract the bzipped tarball into
/mnt/target (or /mnt/gentoo) and have chrooted yourself into a neat little jail.
 Such as so:

# cd /mnt/target (or /mnt/gentoo)
# tar xjpfv /mnt/cdrom/stage1-x86-1.1a.tar.bz2
# mount -obind /proc /mnt/target/proc
# cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/target/etc/
# chroot /mnt/target /bin/bash
# env-update
Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
# source /etc/profile
(none):~# nano -w /etc/make.conf
[[[[ set your rsync proxy stuff in make.conf /*now*/ ]]]]
(none):~# emerge rsync
[[ a whole hell of a lot of stuff should fly by if you set stuff up right ]]

> what i want to do:
>     Confirm i can access gentoo's ftps located offsight of SIU's campus
> via breaking out of the Proxy during a pre install of gentoo's packages
> so that from there i can get the wheels in motion and do a clean wipe of
> my other partitions and get started on my way.

Instead of doing this, try to make a local mirror with an already existing
machine and rsync.  It might take a little while to figure out what exactly you
need to get in the way of files and how to place them, but it /should/ work as
far as you're concerned.

After the bootstrap and 'emerge system' steps, check to see whether or not you
can reach the Gentoo portage stuff from your Gentoo box.  If you can, hose the
local mirror you have or something.  You won't need it for a while.

Oh, and welcome to the list of insane and immature monkeys belonging to the
Southern Illinois Linux Users' Group.  Enjoy your stay or something...

Now, I must run to get to school on time or else traffic will get me.  Arr!

--
Nate Reindl, The Fabled Halfling.