500GB - update

Well, we only had one cable ($50, donated) to hook up the MTI.

Turns out, half of the drives are wired to each channel on the back of the
unit, so we're going to have to locate another LVD cable (VHDI (the
super-sub-mini connector type - Male-Male)) and wire together the channels.
(It's cheaper than a $150 SCSI controller)

If anyone has an extra one of these around, email me ASAP! A 3-footer (1
meter) is fine. Steve also had to scrounge a different controller card, since
the AHA3940 didn't fire up.

So, we could only see 6 of the drives. Steve configured them as a RAID5 array
with a hot spare, so there's only 200GB in the array available currently.

As for funding, were right at the $350 mark, so everyone is making a
difference.

As a special bonus, I snagged a complete 60" HP rack, and worked a trade for a
2.2KVA UPS to put this beast in and keep it juiced. We're working on getting
another 3KVA UPS as well. And all of this with no additional cash outlay.

If there are any electricians out there that know something about adding in a
100A subpanel, 30A circuits and L-530 plugs, drop me a line.

Steve and Kara (and Emma) have been very patient with my visits and dropping
all this hardware on them. They deserve a pat on the back, not just for this,
but for the bandwidth, power, and all the rest of the stuff they do behind
the scenes in keeping the mirrors rsync'd, admin'ing, mailing lists, and UML
servers running.

Steve sent me the following - actual measurements from our MTI:

> If you are interested, here's the output of
> "bonnie++ -s 4096 -n 0 -m web1 -x 4 -f"
> run through bon_csv2txt:
>
> Version  1.02    ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
                   -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
> Machine    Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP
> web1         4G           26316  29 15122  18           39967  22 266.8  3
> web1         4G           27373  31 15034  18           40298  22 267.0  3
> web1         4G           27025  30 15106  18           40598  22 265.4  3
> web1         4G           27327  31 15094  18           39891  21 268.0  2
>
> Again, that's 6-disk software RAID5.

Mike808/
--
() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against HTML email and Microsoft-specific
/\ attachments. If I wanted to read HTML, I would have visited your website!