Re: Using apt

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 09:21:24PM -0500, mike808 wrote:
> I'm a bit confused at the messages it's displaying. So, I do the following:
[...]
> > The following packages have been kept back
> >   libogg libogg-devel libvorbis libvorbis-devel licq vorbis-tools
[...]
> OK, I'm guessing I need to install these, right? Whatever "kept back" means.

Packages are "kept back" if they match a pattern in the HoldPkgs in
apt.conf, or if upgrading one package means removing another.

> So, I'll try an easy one first, licq, because the others look related and
> probably have to go in all at once.
[...]
> > The following packages will be REMOVED:
> >   licq-gnome licq-kde licq-qt licq-text
[...]
> Whoa! What's this about "REMOVED"?

For some reason, apt seems to think that installing the latest licq is
going to break those other packages.  I'd be curious to know where apt
is getting the newer licq package.  Freshrpms?  Rawhide?

> Does this mean that there's a new version of licq, but these dependent
> packages (licq-gnome licq-kde licq-qt licq-text) haven't been?

It's possible.

> If I answer "Y", do I need to manually re-install (apt-get install, of course)
> each of the above packages since they were "removed" by the upgrade?

Well, I would probably "apt-get install licq{,-gnome,-kde,-qt,-text}"
and see how that shakes out before just letting apt remove the other
packages.  There's probably some other dependency that gets introduced
or something...