Re: install question on old PC

I run lots of stuff on a 486/33 with 32MB RAM and a 13 GB hard drive.

I'm currently running Red Hat 7.3.  I've run every version since 5.0.  I did
*not* load any of the X Windows stuff.

Also, my video card is so old that it won't run the GUI install, so I use the
text-based install -- which, incidentally, runs just fine.  (Does anyone feel
sorry for me yet?)  8-)

On this machine, I run:
-- Samba
   My Windows machines think it's an NT 4.0 file server.
   Also, it's a PDC (Primary Domain Controller) for authenticating logins on
Windows machines.
-- Apache
   So that my family can see pictures of me kissing a dolphin.
   If you have nothing better to do and want to see some truly bad web page
design, it's BruneWorld.tzo.com.
   (This page is the one that has made me swear off MS Frontpage forever!)  8-)
-- Sendmail
   I get ALL of my mail through here.
-- POP3
   So I can use Outlook (well, I used to before I discovered Evolution!)
-- IMAP
   For Evolution
-- FTP
   So my brother can send me movies of the people cleaning his house.
-- NFS
   To share files easily between Linux boxes.
-- Plus assorted stuff like telnet and sshd, but who's counting?

There's probably more, but you get the point.  If you're not running a GUI, you
don't need much of a box to run Linux.

Now... having said that, I did try "Squirrel Mail", which is a PHP
implementation for web-based email.  It was HORRIBLE.  REEEEEEEEEALLY slow.  So,
I guess I need a box that it a bit faster now.

Hope this helps,
Charlie