Re: Screen's going black

Quoting Jason Smith <jvsmith@midamer.net>:

> Screen saver question for everyone.  At work I've installed Red Hat 7.2
> using the workstation option.  The problem is that I do not want a
> screen saver of any kind.  I'm using Gnome and have set it for no

What you're encountering isn't actually a screensaver.  Read on for a little
more information.

> screensaver in the control-center.  But if you don't touch the computer
> in about 15 minutes or so the screen goes black, kind of like a power
> saver feature.  I thought I had heard of how to get this behavior to

That's probably what it is, either that or the console blanking is taking over
(unlikely).

> stop but I can't remember where I found it.  So what I'm wanting to know
> is how to stop the screen from going blank after the so many minutes of
> nonuse.

A temporary fix would be to enter this in a gnome-terminal/xterm/etc.:

$ xset -dpms

Or...
A permanent fix would be to switch over to root somehow ('su' is sufficient) and
edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to turn this off by looking for something
similar to the excerpt below.  Yours won't be exact because it's most likely
that your monitor is different from mine; unless you have more than one monitor,
this should be the only of the "Monitor" sections in your config.  Anyway...

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "SGI GDM-20E21"
    HorizSync 30.0-96.0
    VertRefresh 48.0-160.0
    Option "dpms"  <<<< prepend a '#' to comment out this line
EndSection

I hope this helps.

--
Nate Reindl, The Fabled Halfling.