Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 19:20:02 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jeff Gerhardt <jeff@ibssnet.com>
To: luni@luni.org
Subject: [LUNI] Participate in new Open Source Project

OK all of you folks out there who have offered to help out with code
development on TLS, and we told you that SOMEDAY we would have a real cool
"big picture" sort of project started.....Well its started.

The agreements are in place and we are moving forward with the creation of
a new open source project, that for the time being has the working title
"Open Radio Universe".

We will be posting the project to Sourceforge.org by the end of August
(probably sooner).

This project is co-sponsored by Radio Paradise and Geekcast.  The result
will be a library of open source streaming servers, codec
converters, content management tools and
phone-hybrid tools for running a turnkey webcasting/broadcasting entity.
This software is designed to be fully compliant with BMI/ASCAP tracking
requirements and is based in part upon proposed legislation to allow small
webcasters and low wattage FM broadcasters to prove that they fall below
minimums and should not pay CARP royalties, and should only pay the
minimum to BMI ($250.00).

The primary streaming codec of this project is OGG.

This project will also include building a library of "Open License"
content donated by artists, that are niot subject to BMI or CARP.

Alpha code will be demonstrated at a live web cast of a well known artist
this October.  Beta is hoped for late 02 or early 03.

ALL componant part code will be GPL where possible.  Some aspects of the
project may have code donated under a different license scheme.  The long
term goal will be to replace all packages with GPL code.

If you are into broadcast, audio technology, or have always wanted to get
involved with a serious Open Source development; we are now team building.

It would be nice if you know PHP, but it is not a serious issue to your
participation.  There are several non-technical roles that require an
interested person with simple organizational skills.

contact jeff@thelinuxshow.com for information

Cheers