Re: SSH preferences

> Put your public key in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys?

this is what i do

> Lots of hard-to-remember quality passwords/passphrases is a real PITA.
> Rotating them regularly is even moreso.

bah, here is my password rotation

P@$$\/\/0r|)
pussward
ilikecheese
puppiesarefurry
iwonderifmylinuxboxwillchopthispasswordoff?

> Work, email, various shell accounts, servers, web accounts (vendors), online
> banking, etc. I must have 20 or 30 by now. And I don't care for one to be
> able to use the same password to gain access to my other accounts. Who knows
> what some vendor will do (or happen) with my userid/password? Especially if
> some don't use https or encryption for logins? I don't want my Sun support
> account to be related in any way to my Java Certification account or to my
> MandrakeClub account or to my Slashdot, NetFlix, Buy.com, newegg.com
> accounts, etc., etc..

I have this same thing, but I have set it up like this, each different
type gets a unique userid and password.  I have a masterlist of usernames
pinned on the wall at home and stored a couple other places.

Vendors
Forums
shell accounts
Certifications
Shopping
Websites

> Every Tom, Dick, and Harry website I go to wants me to set up a "profile"
> where maybe I get the same userid I use elsewhere (maybe not, it's a crap
> shoot), and yet another password. Many have conflicting requirements - some
> allow punctuation, others don't. Or they have varying minimum length
> requirements. It's a CF'd system all around.

if you follow the old school unix userid and password system, you should
be ok.  most of my userid's at 8 char long and the passwords at the same.

> I see the appeal of the MS Passport system. What to do?

/me loads a gun and gets the car....

YOU SEE THE APPEAL OF A MASS TRACKING SYSTEM IN WHICH THEY CAN CUSTOM
TAILOR EVERYTHING TO YOUR NEED THUS ROBBING YOU OF ANY CHOICE?!?!

sorry.  i hate things like that.  i live the by the phrase, "if it wasn't
painful to do, keep trying new things until it is."

tighe

--
Tighe		w00t		blumnky
	"I am anger incarnate."