web login form

If one were going to make a web login form for clients to log in and see
the progress of their orders what would be the best way to go about
this?  I was thinking about using htaccess through apache but that
wouldn't be very user friendly.  The way I would like to do it is
through a web form that could use their username to redirect them to the
appropriate page.  any links or suggestions would help tremendously,
thanks.

Bob T. Kat

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes
wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it."
  - Douglas Adams, H2G2 -