Re: accounts

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Casey Boone wrote:

> is there any way of exporting user accounts from one linux box to another?
>
> here is the scenerio
>
> 2 linux servers
>
> 1 has a ton of user accounts on it, the other is relatively scarce account
> wise

Right up front, several things you'll want to look at:

NIS, NIS+, LDAP for starters.

> i want to transfer accounts over from one machine to the other

What about homedirs?

> both machines are running redhat 7.1, accounts were added via webmin, which
> i believe uses adduser

Not that big of a deal

Is the system with all of the accounts using shadow passwords?   If not
you can copy the user accounts over (cut and paste if you truly want to be
cheap about it) however you still have to sync the accounts, hence NIS,
NIS+ (which IIRC is still spotty supportwise under linux) or some LDAP
solution (IANAL, YMMV).

The big question is what to do about the users homedirs.  If they need
access to those then you'll need nfs... thankfully 2.4 support is better
with nfs.  You'll want to use autofs for mounting, which does tie in
nicely with NIS.

Sean...

--
Believing I had supernatural powers, I slammed into a brick wall.
	--Paul Simon