Re: mail quotas

Depending on how your users download mail, limiting the mailbox in
sendmail might not get you what you want.  For example, if they
download their mail through IMAP and create folders on your server,
those folders are usually (depending on distro and mail client and
various other things) stored in the user's home directory.  So you
could have a user that had a very small INBOX (var/mail/username) but
their home directory (/home/username) has a bunch of folders with email
that may have large attachments, etc.

There probably is a way to get sendmail to limit the incoming mail, I
don't know it offhand.  But it would also be good to implement hard
and/or soft quotas on home directories in case the users make a bunch
of folders to store mail in on your server.

-Will Mulvihill
On 2002.06.27 08:43 Casey Boone wrote:

> running sendmail and using the /var/mail/username mailbox format
>
> anyway to limit the size of someone's mailbox?  ive been looking
> through the
> sendmail.cf file by hand, but i havent found it yet :\
>
> Casey

William Mulvihill
Webmaster
DxR Development Group, Inc.