Bootcamp: Week 1 - Linux Installation and Package Management

The first session of the SILUG member Sysadmin bootcamp will be this
Sunday, June 2 from 2-5pm. For directions please RSVP with me.

All attendees are expected to bring your own laptop, desktop system, or
make arrangements to share with another attendee. I do request that you
bring your own power strip, network cable, monitor, and mat/towel to
protect the furniture. (A member may feel free to donate one of those 4'
power strips you can purchase at Lowe's)

Attendees should arrive early (15 minutes?) to set up system to be
prepared to begin by 2pm.

Objective: The goal of this week's session is to perform a successful
Linux Installation, learn to manage linux packages for both RPM and DEB
based systems and learn to compile applications from source.

Section 1 (20min) Partitions and Hard Disk Layout
	* filesystems/mount points
	* swap space
	* partitioning
	* hardware cylinders and BIOS limitations

Section 2 (20min) Boot Managers
	* LILO
	* GRUB

Section 3 (45 min) Linux Installation
	* Attendees will complete a full Linux installation. If your
system cannot have a fresh Linux installation, we will attempt to provide
you a network accessible UML machine to practice with.
	* If you would like us to burn you a copy of Red Hat 7.3 for you
to keep, please notify me in advance. Media cost for this is $5.
	* You may bring your own distribution to install (if using your
own system) and it is enouraged. However, we cannot guarantee debugging
any problems with other distributions if they arise.

BREAK while installation completes

Section 4 (20 min) Using Program Source
	* compile source
	* Makefiles

Section 5 (10 min) Managing Shared Libraries

Section 6 (30 min) Package Management
	* RPM based systems
	* DEB based systems

Section 7 (30 min) Practice and Q&A
	* Attendees will practice managing packages in various formats.
Attendees may ask questions at this time and opt to participate in a
practice certification quiz.

NOTE: Class format and sections are subject to change without notice if
(and when) I realize I said something dumb in this email announcement.

Director of Exam Development            http://www.lpi.org/