Re: I got a big disk

> did you dink around with those stupid WD tools that come with the disk?
> might be of some use.

I looked at them. But they required that I infect my system with Mickey$oft.
Thanks, but no thanks.

> > Here's what WD says about the CHS layout:
> >  C: 193821, H: 16, S: 63
> >
> > Here's what the BIOS reports on the screen:
> >  C: 47885, H: 16, S: 255
> >
> > And, lastly, what Linux sees:
> >  C: 12161, H: 255, S: 63
>
> *blink*  *blink*  huh?  is this an ATA-133 drive?  what speed was your
> former drive at?

What former drive? Yes, this is an ATA-133 LBA, S.M.A.R.T.-capable PIO mode 4
drive. And yes, I'm using the ATA-133 cables (80-conductor, 40-pin).

> can you boot off of a boot disk and have it still work or does it barf on
> that?

Sure, but isn't that the *point* of a bootloader?

> disk druid is teh suq! ... get fdisk ...

I agree. I can get fdisk to see what I tell it, but it sees 12161/255/63,
same as Disk Dork does at first. And the RH stupid install will let
you setup things nice with fdisk, but then it hoses you by going back to
Disk Dork to format the partitions - tough 5h!t - only route through the
install. Sorry, Mandrake did a better job here, but they're still in the
same boat and can't install the bootloader.

I'll try SuSE. The FTP install isn't too bad with DSL if you remember to
get the FTP server IP addresses *BEFORE-HAND*, hehe.

Mike808/